The independent London newspaper

Lewis Johnson: Police in fatal road chase could face criminal charges

Police watchdog has passed its report into the crash to the Crown Prosecution Service

09 August, 2017 — By Koos Couvée

Lewis, 18, died in the crash in Clapton last year

PROSECUTORS are considering whether to charge two police drivers involved in the fatal road chase of Holloway teenager Lewis Johnson with driving offences.

Lewis, 18, died when the moped he was travelling on collided with a van in Clapton following a pursuit by two police cars through Hackney in February last year.

The police watchdog, the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC), has completed its investigation into the fatal pursuit and has passed a file to the Crown Prosecution Service “to consider any criminal charges for potential driving offences in relation to two police drivers”, an IPCC spokeswoman said today (Wednesday).

She added: “It is the role of the CPS, applying the Code for Crown Prosecutors, to decide whether there is sufficient evidence to charge individuals. The final IPCC report will be published once all proceedings have concluded.”

The watchdog’s report has also been sent to the Met, which will decide whether three other officers involved in the chase, which were served with gross misconduct notices by the IPCC, should face misconduct proceedings. Misconduct notices do not imply guilt.

Scotland Yard said that police were called to reports that the moped Lewis was riding had made off after a suspected snatch theft of a mobile phone in Dalston.

Officers spotted a moped nearby fitting the description given. Scotland Yard has said officers gave chase after the moped failed to stop for police and that the police helicopter was also called.

Following a two-mile chase the moped crashed. Lewis, a talented footballer, died at the scene.

Louis Kyriacou, 20, who was travelling on the moped with Lewis, was sentenced last year to 10 months in a young offenders’ institute for his part in a 45-minute series of phone snatches through Hackney and Islington.

The inquest into Lewis’s death was scheduled for next month but his mother Ann’s legal team have said they do not expect it to go ahead for reasons they could not disclose at this stage. The Tribune is awaiting a response from Poplar Coroner’s Court.


Share this story

Post a comment